In this section
Meet our staff
- Al Glen, Senior Researcher
- Ana Podolyan, Molecular Technician
- Ben Jolly, Scientific Programmer
- Fiona Carswell – Chief Scientist
- Jessie Prebble, Botanist
- Jo Carpenter, Researcher – Conservation Ecology
- Manpreet Dhami, Senior Researcher
- Paula Godfrey, Research Technician
- Sze-Wing Yiu, Post-Doctoral Researcher – Behaviour Ecologist
- Yvonne Taura, Kairangahau Māori – Ecology
I’m a Senior Scientist and Capability Leader for Molecular Ecology at Manaaki Whenua.
I lead and participate in a wide range of research projects focusing on species interactions – those between microbes and plant or animal hosts, as well as those between microbes in the soil. I try to understand how these interactions are changing with the ongoing changes in our environment.
I also mentor molecular ecology staff to ensure we are always on the leading edge of technology in this field.
What did you study at university?
I studied Zoology (BSc Honours) at the University of Delhi for a couple of years, followed by Biology and Microbiology with a Specialisation in Biosecurity (BSc Honours continued) at the University of Auckland. I also did an online course in Bioinformatics and then studied the complex symbiotic relationship between honeydew scale insects, their bacterial symbionts and honeydewconsuming fungal communities in the beech forests of Aotearoa, New Zealand for my PhD at the University of Auckland.