In this section
Meet our staff
- Al Glen, Senior Researcher
- Ana Podolyan, Molecular Technician
- Ben Jolly, Scientific Programmer
- Fiona Carswell – Chief Scientist
- Jessie Prebble, Botanist
- Jo Carpenter, Researcher – Conservation Ecology
- Manpreet Dhami, Senior Researcher
- Paula Godfrey, Research Technician
- Sze-Wing Yiu, Post-Doctoral Researcher – Behaviour Ecologist
- Yvonne Taura, Kairangahau Māori – Ecology
I am a kairangahau Māori (researcher) in the Manaaki Taiao rōpū (Māori research team), based in the Hamilton office. I work on kaupapa-Māori led research to raise awareness of the importance of wetland restoration.
What was it that led you into this field?
I was always interested in learning about the environment and, more importantly through a Te Ao Māori lens. My uncles (kaumātua) gave me the confidence to pursue a career in environmental science alongside mātauranga Māori.
What did you study at university?
I studied a Bachelor of Environmental Studies at Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi and a Master of Biological Science at Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato (University of Waikato). I am currently completing my doctoral studies at the University of Waikato, thanks to the support and a scholarship from Manaaki Whenua. My research focuses on exploring appropriate communication of mātauranga Māori and Māori-centered collaborative science research for Māori.