In this section
Meet our staff
- Al Glen, Senior Researcher
- Ana Podolyan, Molecular Technician
- Ben Jolly, Scientific Programmer
- Fiona Carswell – Chief Scientist
- Jessie Prebble, Botanist
- Jo Carpenter, Researcher – Conservation Ecology
- Manpreet Dhami, Senior Researcher
- Paula Godfrey, Research Technician
- Sze-Wing Yiu, Post-Doctoral Researcher – Behaviour Ecologist
- Yvonne Taura, Kairangahau Māori – Ecology
I’m currently the Acting CEO at Manaaki Whenua. This involves knowing an awful lot about all sorts of different aspects of the organisation – not just the science.
Normally I am the Chief Scientist. In our organisation this means the person that all of the science staff report to. Mostly I work on helping science teams to recruit amazing people and supporting them through their careers in environmental research.
What excites and keeps you inspired about and in the research you do?
Nowadays I’m really interested in how our research can have an impact on the big issues for our partners. Our partners might be iwi, local Government, central Government or landowners/managers. It’s incredibly satisfying to see a piece of research solve a headache for somebody!
What would be the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career?
Like most researchers, getting started is one of the hardest things – it’s tough to find funding for research projects and a permanent job. You also have to stay strong in the face of getting papers rejected and funding applications rejected – both of these are normal experiences so sharing them with other researchers and trying again is all you can do!