In this section
Data & databases
- Biota of New Zealand
- Ko te Aitanga Pepeke o Aotearoa - New Zealand Land Invertebrates
- National Vegetation Survey (NVS) databank
- Ngā Tipu Aotearoa – New Zealand Plants
- Ngā Rauropi Whakaoranga
- NZFungi - New Zealand Fungi (and Bacteria)
- Systematics collections data
- Basic spatial visualisation package
- National Land Resources Centre (NLRC)
- SINDI: Soil quality indicators
- National Environmental Data Centre
The taxonomic groups included in Biota of New Zealand are:
- land invertebrates, including insects and nematodes
- plants, including seed plants, ferns and allies, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, lichens, and some algae (mainly freshwater)
- plant pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
For each of these groups, Biota of New Zealand provides details on their scientific and vernacular (common) names, descriptions and identification keys, images of the taxon or associated specimens, associated literature, and a summary of the data from the specimens held in collections at Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research.
Biota of New Zealand indicates the status of each scientific name as either a current (preferred) name or synonym and its place in the taxonomic classification. For current names, data on origins and presence/absence in New Zealand are provided.
Biota of New Zealand combines data from:
- Ngā Hekaheka o Aotearoa – New Zealand Fungi and Bacteria
- Ko te Aitanga Pepeke o Aotearoa – New Zealand Land Invertebrates
- Nga Tipu o Aotearoa - New Zealand Plants
- Systematics Collection Data (SCD)