For latest publications see Orcid iD http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4474-8569
1. Rees AB, Holt KA, Hinojosa JL, Newnham RM, Eaves S, Vandergoes MJ, Sessions AL, Wilmshurst JM. 2021. Duelling narratives of chironomids and pollen explain climate enigmas during The Last Glacial-Interglacial transition in North Island New Zealand. Quaternary Science Reviews 263:106997.
2. Nogué S, Santos AMC, Birks HJB, Björck S, Castilla-Beltrán A, Connor S, de Boer EJ, de Nascimento L, Felde VA, Fernández-Palacios JM, Froyd CA, Haberle SG, Hooghiemstra H, Ljung K, Norder SJ, Peñuelas J, Prebble M, Stevenson J, Whittaker RJ, Willis KJ, Wilmshurst JM, Steinbauer MJ. 2021. The human dimension of biodiversity changes on islands. Science 372:488-91.
3. Cooper A, Turney CSM, Palmer J, Hogg A, McGlone M, Wilmshurst J, Lorrey AM, Heaton TJ, Russell JM, McCracken K, Anet JG, Rozanov E, Friedel M, Suter I, Peter T, Muscheler R, Adolphi F, Dosseto A, Faith JT, Fenwick P, Fogwill CJ, Hughen K, Lipson M, Liu J, Nowaczyk N, Rainsley E, Bronk Ramsey C, Sebastianelli P, Souilmi Y, Stevenson J, Thomas Z, Tobler R, Zech R. 2021. A global environmental crisis 42,000 years ago. Science 371, 811-818.
4. Wood JR, Burge OR, Bolstridge N, Bonner K, Clarkson B, Cole TL, Davis C, Fergus A, King P, McKeown M, Morse C, Richardson SJ, Robertson H, Wilmshurst JM. 2021. Vertical distribution of prokaryotes communities and predicted metabolic pathways in New Zealand wetlands, and potential for environmental DNA indicators of wetland condition. Plos One 16(1), e0243363.
5. McKeown MM, Mitchell EAD, Amesbury MJ, Blandenier Q, Charman D, Duckert C, Roland TP, Swindles GT, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2021. The testate amoebae of New Zealand: a checklist, identification key and assessment of biogeographic patterns. European Journal of Protistology. 30:125789.
6. Fordham DA, Jackson ST, Brown SC, Huntley B, Brook BW, Dahl-Jensen D, Gilbert MTP, Otto-Bliesner BL, Svensson A, Theodoridis S, Wilmshurst JM, Buettel JC, Canteri E, McDowell M, Orlando L, Pilowsky J, Rahbek C, Nogues-Bravo D. 2020. Using paleo-archives to safeguard biodiversity under climate change. Science, 369 (6507) eabc5654.
7. Latham AD, Latham MC, Wilmshurst JM, Forsyth DM, Gormley AM, Pech RP, Perry GL, Wood JR. A refined model of body mass and population density in flightless birds reconciles extreme bimodal population estimates for extinct moa. Ecography. 2020 43:353-64. doi: 10.1111/ecog.04917.
8. Carpenter J, Wilmshurst JM, McConkey K, Hume J, Wotton D, Shiels A, Burge OJ, Drake D. 2020. The forgotten fauna: native vertebrate seed predators on islands Functional Ecology 34(9), 1802-1813.
9. Burge OR, Bellingham PJ, Arnst EA, Bonner KI, Burrows LE, Richardson SJ, Wiser SK, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2020. Integrating permanent plot and palaeoecological data to determine subalpine post‐fire succession, recovery and convergence over 128 years. Journal of Vegetation Science 31 (5), 755-767.
10. Kaufman, D, McKay, N, Routson, C, Erb, M, Davis, B, Heiri, O., … Wilmshurst JM, ….et al. (2020). A global database of Holocene paleotemperature records. Scientific Data (1), 1-34.
11. Thomas ZA, Jones RT, Turney CSM, Golledge N, Fogwill C, Bradshaw CJA, Menviel L, McKay NP, Bird M, Palmer J, Kershaw P, Wilmshurst JM, Muscheler R 2020. Tipping elements and amplified polar warming during the Last Interglacial. Quaternary Science Reviews 223, 106222.
12. Wood JR, Richardson SJ, McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM. 2020. The diets of moa (Aves: Dinornithiformes). New Zealand Journal of Ecology 44 (1) 3397.
13. Wilmshurst JM, Carpenter JK. 2020. Rodent detection and monitoring for conservation on islands: gnawed seeds provide reliable indicator of rodent presence. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 44 (1) 1-9.
14. Wood JR, Díaz FP, Latorre C, Wilmshurst JM, Burge OR, González F, Gutiérrez RA. 2019. Ancient parasite DNA from late Quaternary Atacama Desert rodent middens. Quaternary Science Reviews 15;226:106031.
15. McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM, Richardson SJ, Turney CSM, Wood JR. 2019. Temperature, Wind, Cloud, and the Postglacial Tree Line History of Sub-Antarctic Campbell Island. Forests 10, 998; 10 (11), 998.
16. Díaz FP, Latorre C, Carrasco-Puga G, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Soto DC, Cole TL and Gutiérrez RA. 2019. Multiscale climate change impacts on plant diversity in the Atacama Desert. Global Change Biology 25 (5), 1733-1745. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14583
17. Cole TL, Ksepkac DT, Mitchell KJ, Tennyson AJD, Thomas DB, Pang H, Zhang G, Rawlence NJ, Wood JR, Bover P, Bouzat JL, Cooper A, Fiddaman S, Hart T, Miller G, Ryan PG, Shepherd LD, Wilmshurst JM, Waters JM. 2019. Mitogenomes uncover extinct penguin taxa and reveal island formation as a key driver of speciation. Molecular Biology and Evolution 36 (4), 784-797. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msz017
18. McKeown MM, Wilmshurst JM, Duckert C, Wood JR, Mitchell EA. 2019. Assessing the ecological value of small testate amoebae (< 45 μm) in New Zealand peatlands. European Journal of Protistology, 68, 1-16.
19. Wood, JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2019. Comparing the effects of asynchronous herbivores on New Zealand montane vegetation communities. PloS one 14 (4), e0214959.
20. Rainsley, E., Turney CSM, Golledge NR, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS, Hogg AG, Thomas ZA, Flett V, Palmer JG, Richard T, de Wet G, Hutchinson DK, Lipson MJ, Fenwick P, Hines BR, Binetti U, Fogwill C. 2019. Pleistocene glacial history of the New Zealand subantarctic islands. Climates of the Past 15 (2), 423-448. DOI:10.5194/cp-15-423-2019
21. van den Bos V, Rees A, Newnham R, Vandergoes M, Wilmshurst J, Augustinus P. 2018. Holocene temperature, humidity and seasonality in northern New Zealand linked to Southern Hemisphere summer insolation. Quaternary Science Reviews. 201:77-88.
22. Wood JR, Diaz FR, Latorre C, Wilmshurst JM, Burge, OR, Gutierrez R. 2018. Plant pathogen responses to Late Pleistocene and Holocene climate change in the central Atacama Desert, Chile. Scientific Reports 8(1):17208.
23. Argiriadis E, Battistel D, McWethy DB, Vecchiato M, Kirchgeorg T, Kehrwald NM, Whitlock C, Wilmshurst JM, Barbante C. 2018. Lake sediment fecal and biomass burning biomarkers provide direct evidence for prehistoric human-lit fires in New Zealand. Scientific Reports 8(1), 12113.
24. Carpenter JK, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Kelly D. 2018. An avian seed dispersal paradox: New Zealand’s extinct megafaunal birds did not disperse large seeds. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 285 (1877), 20180352.
25. Turney CSM, Palmer J, Maslin M, Hogg A, Fogwill CJ, Southon J, Fenwick P, Helle G, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone M, Bronk-Ramsey C, Thomas Z, Lipson M, Beaven B, Jones RT, Andrews O, Hua Q. 2018. Global peak in atmospheric radiocarbon provides a potential definition for the onset of the Anthropocene epoch in 1965. Scientific Reports 8 (1): 3293.
26. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS. 2018.Two new Holocene vegetation records from the margins of the Canterbury Plains, South Island, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 42(2):240-7.
27. Wyse S, Wilmshurst JM, Burns BR, Perry LW. 2018. New Zealand forest dynamics: a review of past and present vegetation responses to disturbance and a development of conceptual forest models. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 42:87-106.
28. Palmer JG, Turney CSM, Fogwill C, Fenwick P, Thomas Z, Lipson M, Jones RT, Beaven B, Richardson SJ, Wilmshurst JM. 2018. Growth response of an invasive alien species to climate variations on subantarctic Campbell Island (52˚S). New Zealand Journal of Ecology 42 (1), 1-9.
29. Wood JR, Alcover JA, Blackburn TM, Bover P, Duncan RP, Hume JP, Louys J, Meijer HJM, Rando JC, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Island extinctions: patterns, processes, and potential for ecosystem restoration. Environmental Conservation 44 (4), 348-358.
30. McGlone MS, Richardson SJ, Burge OR, Perry GLW, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Palynology and the ecology of the New Zealand conifers. Frontiers in Earth Science 5:94.
31. Jara, IA, Newnham RM, Alloway BV, Wilmshurst JM, Rees ABH. 2017. Pollen-based temperature and precipitation records of the past 14,600 years in northern New Zealand (37°S) and their linkages with the Southern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation. The Holocene 27 (11), 1756-1768. doi/pdf/10.1177/0959683617708444.
32. Battersby P, Wilmshurst JM, Curran TJ, Perry GLW. 2017. Does heating stimulate germination in Leptospermum scoparium (mānuka; Myrtaceae)? New Zealand Journal of Botany 55 (4), 452-465.
33. Newnham R, Alloway B, McGlone M, Juchnowicz H, Rees A, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. A Last Interglacial pollen-temperature reconstruction, central North Island, New Zealand. Quaternary Science Reviews 170, 136-151.
34. Newnham R, Alloway B, Holt K, Butler K, Rees A, Wilmshurst JM, Dunbar G, Hajdas I. 2017. Last Glacial pollen-climate reconstructions from Northland, New Zealand. Journal of Quaternary Science 32 (6), 685-703.
35. Burge, O.R., Kelly D., Wilmshurst J.M. 2017. Interspecies interference and monitoring duration affect detection rates in chew cards. Austral Ecology 42, 522-532. DOI: 10.1111/aec.12471.
36. Nogue S, de Nascimento L, Froyd CA, Wilmshurst JM, de Boer EJ, Coffey EE, Whittaker RJ, Fernández-Palacios JM, Willis KJ. 2017. Island biodiversity conservation needs palaeoecology. Nature Ecology and Evolution 1 (7) 1-9. doi:10.1038/s41559-017-0181.
37. Battersby P, Wilmshurst JM, Curran TJ, McGlone MS, Perry GLW. 2017. Exploring fire adaptation in a land with little fire: serotiny in Leptospermum scoparium (Myrtaceae) Journal of Biogeography 44: 1306-1318. DOI:10.1111/jbi.12950
38. Wood JR, Scofield RP, Hamel J, Lalas C, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Bone stable isotopes indicate a high trophic position for the extinct South Island adzebill (Aptornis defossor). New Zealand Journal of Ecology 41 (2): 240-244.
39. Wood JR, Perry GLW, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Using Palaeoecology to determine baseline ecological requirements and interaction networks for de-extinction candidate species. Functional Ecology 31, 1012-1020. Online early 0.1111/1365-2435.12773
40. Johnson CN, Balmford A, Brook BW, Buettel JC, Galetti M, Guangchun L, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Biodiversity losses and conservation responses in the Anthropocene. Science 356: 270-275. DOI: 10.1126/science.aam9317.
41. Turney C, Fogwill C, Palmer J, van Sebille E, Thomas Z, McGlone M, Richardson SJ, Wilmshurst JM, Fenwick P, Zunz V, Goosse H, Wilson K-J, Carter L, Lipson M, Jones RT, Harsch M, Clark G, Marzinelli E, Rogers T, Rainsley E, Ciasto L, Waterman S, Thomas ER, Visbeck M. 2017. Tropical forcing of increased Southern Ocean climate variability revealed by a 140-year subantarctic temperate reconstruction. Climate of the Past Discussions. 13 (3) 231-248. DOI: 10.5194/cp-13-231-2017.
42. Turney, CSM, Wilmshurst JM, Jones RT, Wood JR, Palmer J, Hogg A, Fenwick, P, Crowley SF, Privat K, Thomas Z. 2017. Reconstructing atmospheric circulation over southern New Zealand: Establishment of modern westerly airflow 5500 years ago and Southern Hemisphere Holocene climate change. Quaternary Science Reviews. 159:77-87.
43. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2017. Changes in New Zealand forest plant communities following the prehistoric extinction of avian megaherbivores. Journal of Vegetation Science (28) 160-171. DOI:10.1111/jvs.12469.
45. Perry GLW, Wilmshurst JM, Etherington TR, Wainwright J. 2016. Experimental simulation: using generative modeling and palaeoecological data to understand human-environment interactions. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution Palaeoecology 4, 109. https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2016.00109
46. McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM. 2016. Obituary Neville Taylor Moar BSc, MSc, PhD (Cant.), 31 July 1926-1 June 2016. New Zealand Journal of Botany 54 (4) 520-526
47. Wood JR, Herrera MJB, Scofield RP, Wilmshurst JM. 2016. Origin and timing of the earliest domestic chickens in New Zealand: Polynesian commensals or European introductions? Royal Society Open Science 3, 160258.
48. Wood JM, Crown A, Cole TL, Wilmshurst JM. 2016. Microscopic and ancient DNA profiling of Polynesian dog (kurī) coprolites from northern New Zealand. Journal of Archaeological Science 6, 496-505.
50. Wood, JR, Wilmshurst JM, Turney CSM, Fogwell, CJ. 2016. Palaeoecological signatures of vegetation change induced by herbivory regime shifts on subantarctic Enderby Island Quaternary Science Reviews 134, 51-58.
51. Turney CSM, McGlone, MS, Palmer, J, Fogwill C, Hogg A, Thomas Z, Lipson M, Wilmshurst JM, Fenwick P, Jones R, Hines B, Clark G. 2016. Intensification of Southern Hemisphere westerly winds 2000-1000 Years Ago: Evidence from the Subantarctic Campbell and Auckland Islands (52-50˚S). Journal of Quaternary Science 31 (1), 12-19. DOI: 10.1002/jqs.2828.
52. Turney CSM, Palmer, J, Hogg A, Fogwill C, Jones R, Bronk Ramsey C, Fenwick, P, Grierson P, Wilmshurst JM, O’Donnell A, Thomas Z, Lipson M. 2016. Multidecadal variations in Southern Hemisphere atmospheric 14C: Evidence against a Southern Ocean sink at the end of the Little Ice Age CO2 anomaly. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 30: 2211–218. DOI: 10.1002/2015GB005257.
53. Jara IA, Newnham RM, Vandergoes M, Foster C, Lowe D, Wilmshurst JM, Moreno PI, Renwick JA, Homes A. 2015. Pollen-climate reconstruction from northern South Island, New Zealand (41°S), reveals varying high- and low-latitude teleconnections over the last 16,000 years. Journal of Quaternary Science 30 (8):817-829
54. Perry GLW, Wilmshurst JM, Ogden J, Enright, N. 2015. Exotic mammals and invasive plants alter fire-related thresholds in southern temperate forested landscapes. Ecosystems 18 (7), 1290-1305. DOI: 10.1007/s10021-015-9898-1.
55. Richardson SJ, Laughlin DC, Lawes MJ, Holdaway RJ, Wilmshurst JM, Wright M, Curran TJ, Bellingham PJ, McGlone MS. 2015. Functional and environmental determinants of bark thickness in fire-free temperate rain forest communities. American Journal of Botany. 102 (10) 1590-1598.
56. Lyver, POB’, Wilmshurst JM, Wood JR, Bellingham PJ, Jones CJ, Towns DR, Stone C, Moller H. 2015. Looking back for the future: local knowledge and palaeoecology inform biocultural restoration of coastal ecosystems in New Zealand. Human Ecology 43, 681-695. DOI 10.1007/s10745-015-9784-7
57. Rogers GND, Bonner KI, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM 2015. The rail-cutter: a simple, cheap and compact system for opening sediment cores in the lab and field. Journal of Paleolimnology 53 (4) 433-436. DOI 10.1007/s10933-015-9830-x
58. Richardson SJ, Clayton R, Rance RD, Broadbent H, McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM. 2015. Small wetlands are critical for safeguarding rare and threatened plant species Applied Vegetation Science 18 (2) 230-241. DOI: 10.1111/avsc.12144
59. Whitlock C, McWethy DB, Tepley AJ, Veblen TT, Holz A, McGlone MS, Perry GLW, Wilmshurst JM, Wood SW. 2015. Past and present vulnerability of closed-canopy temperate forests to altered fire regimes: a comparison of the Pacific Northwest, New Zealand, and Patagonia. Bioscience 65 (2) 151-163. 10.1093/biosci/biu194.
60. Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS, Turney MSM, 2015. Long-term ecology resolves the timing, region of origin, and process of establishment for a disputed alien tree. Annals of Botany Plants. 7: plv104. http://aobpla.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/plv104.full.pdf+html
61. Wood JR, Dickie IA, Moeller HV, Peltzer DA, Bonner KI, Rattray G, and Wilmshurst JM. 2015. Novel interactions between non-native mammals and fungi facilitate establishment of invasive pines. Journal of Ecology. 103 (1) 121–129. DOI: 10.1111/1365-2745.12345
62. Perry GLW, Wheeler A, Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2014. A high precision chronology for the rapid extinction of New Zealand moa (Aves, Dinornithiformes). Quaternary Science Reviews 105, 126-135.
63. McWethy DB, Wilmshurst JM, Whitlock C, Wood JR, McGlone MS. 2014. A high-resolution chronology of rapid forest transitions following Polynesian arrival in New Zealand. PLOS One. 9 (11) e111328. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0111328
64. Wood, J.R., Mitchell, K.J., Scofield, R.P., Tennyson, A.J.D., Fidler, A.E., Wilmshurst, J.M., Llamas, B., Cooper, A. 2014. An extinct nestorid parrot (Aves, Psittaciformes, Nestoridae) from the Chatham Islands, New Zealand. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 172, 185-199. DOI: 10.1111/zoj.12164
65. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2014. Late Quaternary terrestrial vertebrate coprolites from New Zealand. Quaternary Science Reviews (98) 1-12. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2014.05.020
66. Harsch MA, McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM. 2014. Winter climate limits subantarctic low forest growth and establishment. PLOS One 9 (4) e93241. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0093241
67. Perry, G, Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone, M.S. 2014. Ecology and long-term history of fire in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 38 (2) 157-176.
68. Wilmshurst JM, Moar NT, Wood JR, Bellingham PJ, Findlater AM, Robinson JJ, Stone C. 2014. Use of pollen and ancient DNA as conservation baselines for offshore islands in New Zealand. Conservation Biology 28 (1): 202-212. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12150.
69. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Richardson SJ, Rawlence NJ, Wagstaff SJ, Worthy TH, Cooper A. 2013. Resolving lost herbivore community structure using coprolites of four sympatric New Zealand moa species (Aves: Dinornithiformes). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110 (42), 16910-16915. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1307700110
70. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2013. Age of North Island giant moa (Dinornis novaezealandiae) bones found on the forest floor in the Ruahine Range. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 43 (4), 250-255. DOI:10.1080/03036758.2012.751038.
71. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM. 2013. Accumulation rates or percentages? How to quantify Sporormiella and other coprophilous fungal spores to detect late Quaternary megafaunal extinction events. Quaternary Science Reviews 77, 1-3. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.06.025
72. Sikes EL, Medeiros PM, Augustinus P, Wilmshurst JM, Freeman K. 2013. Seasonal variations in aridity and temperature characterize changing climate during the last deglaciation in New Zealand Quaternary Science Reviews 74: 245-256.
73. McWethy, DB, Higuera, PE, Whitlock, C, Veblen,TT, Bowman, D, Cary, GJ, Haberle, SG, Keane, RE, Maxwell, BD, McGlone, MS, Perry, GLW, Wilmshurst,JM, Holz A, Tepley AJ. 2013. A conceptual framework for predicting temperate ecosystem sensitivity to human-impacts on fire regimes. Global Ecology and Biogeography 22 (8) 900–912. DOI: 10.1111/geb.12038.
74. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Rawlence NJ, Boot K, Worthy TH, Kinsella JM, Cooper A. 2013. A megafauna's microfauna: gastrointestinal parasites of New Zealand's extinct moa (Aves: Dinornithiformes). PLoS One 8(2):e57315.
75. Wood JM, Wilmshurst JM. 2013. Pollen analysis of coprolites reveals dietary details of heavy –footed moa (Pachyornis elephantopus) and coastal moa (Euryapteryx curtus) from Central Otago. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 37 (1) 151-155.
76. Newnham R, McGlone M, Moar N, Wilmshurst JM, Vandergoes M. 2013. The vegetation cover of New Zealand at the last glacial maximum Quaternary Science Reviews 74, 202-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2012.08.022
77. Harsch MA, Buxton, R, Duncan RP, Hulme PE, Wardle P, Wilmshurst JM. 2012. Causes of treeline stability: stem growth, recruitment and mortality rates over 15 years at New Zealand Nothofagus treelines. Journal of Biogeography 39 (11) 2061–2071.
78. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Worthy TH, Holzapfel, Cooper A. 2012. A Lost Link between a Flightless Parrot and a Parasitic Plant and the Potential Role of Coprolites in Conservation Paleobiology Conservation Biology 26 (6) 1091-1099.
79. Perry, G, Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone, M.S. Napier, A. 2012. Reconstructing spatial vulnerability to forest loss by fire in prehistoric New Zealand. Global Ecology and Biogeography (21) 1029 -1041.
80. Wood, J.R., Wilmshurst, J.M., Worthy, T.H., Cooper, A. 2012. First coprolite evidence for the diet of Anomalopteryx didiformis, an extinct forest ratite from New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 36 (2) 164-170.
81. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Wagstaff SJ, Worthy TH, Rawlence NJ, Cooper A. 2012. High-resolution coproecology: Using coprolites to reconstruct the habits and habitats of New Zealand's extinct upland moa (Megalapteryx didinus). PLoS ONE 7 (6) e40025.
82. Wood, J.R., Wilmshurst, J.M. 2012. Wetland soil moisture complicates the use of Sporormiella to trace past herbivore populations. Journal of Quaternary Science 27 (3) 254–259.
83. Perry, G, Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone, M.S., McWethy, D. Whitlock, C. 2012. Explaining fire-driven landscape transformation during the Initial Burning Period of New Zealand’s prehistory Global Change Biology 18 (5) 1609-1621.
84. Newnham R, Vandergoes M, Sikes, E, Carter L, Wilmshurst J.M, Lowe D, McGlone, M, Sandiford A. 2012. Does the bipolar seesaw extend to the terrestrial southern mid-latitudes? Quaternary Science Reviews (36), 214–222.
85. Wood, J.R., Wilmshurst, J.M., Rawlence, N.J. 2011. Radiocarbon-dated faunal remains correlate very large rock avalanche deposit with prehistoric Alpine fault rupture. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 54: 431-434.
86. Rieth, T, Hunt, TL, Lipo, C, Wilmshurst J.M. 2011. The thirteenth century Polynesian colonisation of Hawai'i Island. Journal of Archaeological Science (38) 2740-2749.
87. Rawlence, N.J., Scofield, R.P., Wood, J.R., Wilmshurst, J.M., Moar, N.T., Worthy, T.H. 2011. New palaeontological data from the excavation of the Late Glacial Glencrieff miring bone deposit, North Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 41 (3) 217-236. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03036758.2011.559663
88. Wilmshurst, JM, Hunt T, Lipo C, Anderson A. 2011. Reply to Mulrooney et al: Accepting lower precision radiocarbon dates results in longer colonization chronologies for east Polynesia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108 (23) E195.
89. Moar NT, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS. 2011. Standardising names applied to pollen and spores in Quaternary New Zealand palynology. New Zealand Journal of Botany 49 (2) 201-229. DOI 10.1080/0028825X.2010.526617.
90. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Cooper A, Worthy TH. 2011. Sporormiella as a proxy for non-mammalian herbivores in island ecosystems Quaternary Science Reviews (30) 915-925. DOI: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2011.01.007.
91. Wilmshurst JM, Hunt T, Lipo C, Anderson A. 2011. High precision radiocarbon dating shows recent and rapid initial human colonization of East Polynesia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108 (5) 1815-1820. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1015876108
92. McGlone, M.S., Hall, GMJ, Wilmshurst JM. 2011. Seasonality in the early Holocene: Extending fossil-based estimates with a forest ecosystem process model. The Holocene 2 (523-532) DOI: 10.1177/0959683610385717.
93. McWethy D.B., Whitlock C, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS, Fromont M, Li X, Dieffenbacher-Krall A, Hobbs WO, Fritz S, Cook ER. 2010. Rapid landscape transformation in South Island, New Zealand following initial Polynesian settlement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107 (50) 21343-21348. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1011801107.
94. McGlone MS, Turney CSM, Wilmshurst JM, Renwick R, Pahnke, K. 2010. Divergent trends in land and ocean temperature in the Southern Ocean over the past 18,000 years. Nature Geoscience 3(9):622-626.
95. Bellingham, PJ, Towns, DR, Cameron, EK, Davis, JJ, Wardle, DA, Wilmshurst JM, Mulder, CPH. (2010) New Zealand island restoration: seabirds, predators, and the importance of history New Zealand Journal of Ecology 34 (1): 115-136.
96. Forsyth, DM, Wilmshurst JM, Allen RB and Coomes DA. (2010) Impacts of introduced deer and extinct moa on New Zealand ecosystems New Zealand Journal of Ecology 34 (1): 48–65.
97. McWethy DB, Whitlock C, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS, Li X. (2009). Rapid deforestation of South Island, New Zealand by early Polynesian fires. The Holocene 19, 883–897.
98. Prebble M, Wilmshurst JM. (2009). Detecting the initial impact of humans and introduced species on island environments in Remote Oceania using palaeoecology. Biological Invasions 11:1529-1556. DOI 10.1007/s10530-008-9405-0
99. Wilmshurst JM, Anderson AJ, Higham TFG, Worthy TH. 2008. Dating the late prehistoric dispersal of Polynesians to New Zealand using the commensal Pacific rat. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105 (22) 7676–7680. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.0801507105
100. Power, M.J et al…Wilmshurst, J.M…. (83 authors) 2008. Changes in fire regimes since the Last Glacial Maximum: an assessment based on a global synthesis and analysis of charcoal data. Climate Dynamics 30: 887–907. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00382-007-0334-x
101. Alloway, B. V., Lowe, D. J., Barrell, D. J. A., Newnham, R. M., Almond, P. C., Augustinus, P. C., Bertler, N. A. N., Carter, L., Litchfield, N. J., McGlone, M. S., Shulmeister, J., Vandergoes, M. J., Williams, P. W. and members, N.-I. 2007. Towards a climate event stratigraphy for New Zealand over the past 30 000 years (NZ-INTIMATE project). Journal of Quaternary Science 22, 9-35.
102. Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone, M.S., Leathwick, J.R., Newnham, R.M. 2007. A pre-deforestation pollen-climate calibration model for New Zealand and quantitative temperature reconstructions for the past 18,000 yrs B.P. Journal of Quaternary Science 22, 535–547. (www.interscience.wiley.com) DOI: 10.1002/jqs.1135.
103. Turney C.S.M., RobertsRG, de JongeN, PriorC, Wilmshurst JM, McGloneMS, CooperJ. 2007 Redating the advance of the New Zealand Franz Josef Glacier during the Last Termination: evidence for asynchronous climate change. Journal of Quaternary Science Review 26, 3037–3042. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2007.09.014
104. McGlone, M.S., Wilmshurst, J.M., Meurk, C.D. 2007. Climate, fire, farming and the recent vegetation history of subantarctic Campbell Island. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 98, 71–84.
105. Turney, C.S.M. Kershaw, A.P. Lowe, J.J. van der Kaars, S., Johnston, R., Rule, S. Moss, P., Radke, L., Tibby, J., McGlone, M.S. Wilmshurst, J.M., Vandergoes, M.J, Fitzsimons, S.J, Bryant, C., James, S., Branch, N.P., Cowley, J., Kalin, R.M., Ogle, N., Jacobsen, G., Fifield, L.K. 2006. Climatic variability in the southwest Pacific during the Last Termination (20-10 ka BP). Quaternary Science Reviews 25: 886-903.
106. McGlone MS, Wilmshurst JM, Leach, H.M. 2005. An ecological and historical review of bracken (Pteridium esculentum) in New Zealand, and its cultural significance. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 29(2): 165-184.
107. Bestic KL, Duncan, RP. McGlone, MS. Wilmshurst JM and Meurk CD. 2005. Population age structure and recent Dracophyllum spread on subantarctic Campbell Island. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 29(2): 291-297.
108. Wilmshurst JM & McGlone MS. 2005. Corroded pollen and spores as indicators of changing lake sediment sources and catchment disturbance. Journal of Paleolimnology 34: 503–517,
109. Wilmshurst JM & McGlone MS. 2005. Origin of pollen and spores in surface lake sediments: comparison of modern palynomorph assemblages in moss cushions, surface soils and surface lake sediments. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 136: 1–15.
110. Wilmshurst JM & Higham TFG. 2004. Using rat gnawed seeds to independently date the arrival of Pacific rats and humans to New Zealand. The Holocene 14 (6) 801–806.
111. Wilmshurst, J.M., Higham T.F.G., Allen, H., Johns, D., Phillips, C. (2004) Early Maori settlement impacts in northern coastal Taranaki, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 28 (2) 1–13.
112. McGlone, M.S., Turney, C.S.M., Wilmshurst, J.M. 2004. Late Glacial and Holocene vegetation and climatic history of the Cass Basin, central South Island, New Zealand. Quaternary Research 62:267–279.
113. Wilmshurst, J.M., Bestic, K.L., Meurk, C.D., McGlone, M.S. 2004. Recent spread of Dracophyllum scrub on subantarctic Campbell Island, New Zealand: climatic or anthropogenic origins? Journal of Biogeography 31, (3) 401–413.
114. Wilmshurst, J.M., Wiser, S.K., Charman, D. J. 2003. Reconstructing Holocene water tables using testate amoebae: differential preservation of tests and implications for the use of transfer functions. The Holocene 13 (3) 61-72.
115. Turney, C.S.M., McGlone, M.S., Wilmshurst, J.M. 2003. Asynchronous climate change between New Zealand and the Northern Atlantic during the last deglaciation. Geology 31 (3) 223–226.
116. Moar, N.T., Wilmshurst, J.M. 2003. A key to the pollen of New Zealand Cyperaceae. New Zealand Journal of Botany 41 (2) 325–334.
117. Wilmshurst, J.M. 2003. Establishing long-term changes in takahe winter feeding grounds in Fiordland using pollen analysis. Science in Conservation. 228. 25p.
118. Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone M.S., Charman, D.J. 2002. Holocene vegetation and climate change in southern New Zealand: linkages between forest composition and quantitative surface moisture reconstructions from an ombrogenous bog. Journal of Quaternary Science 17 (7) 653-666..
119. McGlone, M.S., Wilmshurst, J.M., Wiser, S.K. 2000. Late-glacial and Holocene vegetation and climate change on Auckland Island, subantarctic New Zealand. The Holocene 10(6) 719-728.
120. McGlone, M.S. & Wilmshurst J.M. 1999. A Holocene record of climate, vegetation change and peat bog development, east Otago, New Zealand. Journal of Quaternary Science 14, 239-254.
121. McGlone, M.S. & Wilmshurst, J.M. 1999. Dating initial Maori environmental impact in New Zealand. Quaternary International 59, 5-16.
122. Wilmshurst, J.M., Eden, D. and Froggatt, P. C. 1999. Late Holocene forest disturbance in Gisborne, New Zealand: a comparison of terrestrial and marine pollen records. New Zealand Journal of Botany 37, 523-540.
123. Newnham, R.M., Lowe, D.J., McGlone M.S., Wilmshurst J.M. and Higham, T.F.G. 1998. The Kaharoa Tephra as a critical datum for earliest human impact in northern New Zealand. Journal of Archaeological Science 25, 533-544.
124. Wilmshurst, J.M., McGlone, M.S. and Partridge, T.R. 1997. A late Holocene history of natural disturbance in lowland podocarp/hardwood forest, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany, 35, 79-96.
125. Wilmshurst, J.M. 1997. The impact of human settlement on vegetation and soil stability in Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany 35, 97-111.
126. Wilmshurst J.M. and McGlone, M.S. 1996. Forest disturbance in the central North Island, New Zealand following the 1850 BP Taupo eruption. The Holocene 6 (4), 399-411.
127. O'Sullivan, P.E., Heathwaite, A.L., Appleby, P.G., Brookfield, D., Crick, M.W., Moscrop, C., Mulder, T.B., Vernon, N.J., Wilmshurst, J.M. 1991. Palaeolimnology of Slapton Ley, Devon, UK. Hydrobiologia 214: 115-124.
1. Wilmshurst JM, Ruscoe WA. 2021. Family Muridae: Rattus exulans. In: The Handbook of New Zealand Mammals. Third Edition (ed CM King and DM Forsyth) CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. 576pp. ISBN: 9781486306282.
2. Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Newman RN, McGlone MS. 2017. Evolution and Ecological Change During the New Zealand Quaternary. In: Landscape and Quaternary Environmental Change in New Zealand, Ed Shulmeister, J. pp 235-291. Atlantis Press, Paris.
3. Gomez B, Eden DN, Hicks DM, Trustrum NA, Peacock DH, Wilmshurst JM, 1999. Contribution of floodplain sequestration to the sediment budget of the Waipaoa River, New Zealand. In: Marriott, S.B., Alexander, J., Hey R.D. (Editors) Floodplains: Interdisciplinary approaches. Geological Society of London. Special publication 163, 69‑88.
PhD Environmental Science
BSc (Hons) Environmental Sci