Back a level
In this section
An update of Larivière (1995)'s key, intended for thorough diagnosis; aimed at diagnosticians and/or entomologists.
How to use the key
- Keys are based on text couplets – two statements in contrast with each other that provide alternative characters to identify species.
- By selecting/agreeing with one statement (hyperlinked text ending with NEXT ») the key moves to the NEXT couplet; the process is repeated until an identification is reached.
- Key couplets are illustrated – image thumbnails appear under couplet statements.
- Thumbnails should be clicked and enlarged so that morphological characters can be viewed in sufficient detail to assist identification.
- Key end points – identification is reached – the name of a species is obtained.
- The species name links to a factsheet that provides further information, including images of the main diagnostic characters for a particular species.
Examination of some characters in the keys may require the use of a hand lens or other magnifying device (e.g., microscope or zoomed-in photo from a camera or smart phone).