Back a level
In this section
A shorter key to assist rough sorting or preliminary diagnosis. The Quick Key can be used by non-entomologists and the general public once a general understanding of stink bugs body parts is gained by consulting the labelled body parts images.
How to use the key
- The key is based on text couplets – two statements in contrast with each other that provide alternative characters to identify species.
- By selecting/agreeing with one statement (hyperlinked text ending with NEXT ») the key moves to the NEXT couplet; the process is repeated until an identification is reached.
- Key couplets are illustrated – image thumbnails appear under couplet statements.
- Thumbnails should be clicked and enlarged so that morphological characters can be viewed in sufficient detail to assist identification.
- Key end points – identification is reached – the name of a species is obtained.
Examination of some characters in the keys may require the use of a hand lens or other magnifying device (e.g., microscope or zoomed-in photo from a camera or smart phone).