Back a level
In this section
- All about insects
- Ngā pepeke: he pārongo
- Pollination & pollinators
- The arthropods on the pare
- The Great Weeds Hunt Aotearoa
The pare, or carved door lintel, that stands over the entrance to the New Zealand Arthropod Collection (NZAC) / Ko te Aitanga Pepeke o Aotearoa at Manaaki Whenua in Auckland.
About the pare
- is 1.5 x 0.9 m in size;
- was carved from recycled kauri wood over 100 years old, salvaged from a former coolstore shed at the Port of Auckland in the 1980s;
- was carved in the style of Ngāti Whātua of the Auckland/Tāmaki Makaurau region by Mr Denis Conway, a student of the late Henare Toka;
- is over the main doorway entrance to the NZAC insect collection, and was dedicated on 13 February 1990; is unusual in having insects and their relatives (arthropods) depicted on it.