The ICMP welcomes new accessions of fungi and plant-associated bacteria from New Zealand and throughout the world. To deposit strains in the collection first please email the Curator with your intent, include the name and number of strains, and their isolation source. Then complete the ICMP deposit form below, and print and include the hard copy forms along with the cultures. There are no fees to deposit cultures in the public collection.
Cultures are accepted on the basis that they have not been collected or transported in contravention of any current international law or convention, or in contravention of any New Zealand Government laws and regulations.
Email address: icmp@LandcareResearch.co.nz
Mail address: ICMP Curator, Landcare Research, Private Bag 92170, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Courier address: ICMP Curator, Landcare Research, 231 Morrin Road, St Johns, Auckland 1072, New Zealand
Cultures are available for use in research and teaching. They are not automatically available for commercial purposes, although this may be permitted through negotiation; please contact the Curator. To order strains from the ICMP please complete the request form below and mail it to the Curator.
- Conditions of Sale and Supply of ICMP Micro-organisms
- ICMP Price list
- Download ICMP culture order form
New Zealand Researchers:
Due to New Zealand legislative requirements governing containment of cultures sourced from overseas, we recommend that NZ researchers consider selection of strains from among those isolated in New Zealand. Under NZ quarantine regulations most imported cultures are MPI Restricted cultures that require MPI approval before they can be released to a suitable Containment Facility. Cultures on the MPI Unwanted Organisms Register require special approval from the MPI Chief Technical Officer before despatch. This also applies to Unwanted Organisms isolated in New Zealand. Check the MPI website for the Unwanted Organisms Register and the Biosecurity Organisms Register for Imported Commodities. Researchers must ensure that they have relevant approval to develop, field test, or release a new organism under the HSNO act.
Conditions of sale and supply of ICMP micro-organisms
Strains are supplied for legitimate research purposes only on the understanding that the recipient will not seek intellectual property rights over the strain or any derivatives from the strain, or use them or any derivatives for the development of commercial products, without prior consultation with Landcare Research.
- Limitations. We will endeavour to replace non-viable or contaminated strains provided we are notified within a reasonable time of delivery.
- Disclaimer. Customers receiving ICMP strains are responsible for their safe storage, handling and use. While strains are supplied in good faith as being accurately labelled as to identity, Landcare Research cannot provide any guarantees on this matter. Identification usually relies on identification supplied by the depositor but may have been updated in the light of further research.
- Permits. It is the responsibility of customers to supply any permits and special mailing instructions needed for the strains ordered. Cultures are usually airmailed unless courier is specifically requested or IATA regulations or any other regulations require otherwise.
- Ownership. Strains are accessioned to ICMP on the basis that the depositor is the rightful owner and, unless otherwise arranged at the time of deposition, they are available for legitimate research purposes. Recipients who wish to seek intellectual property rights over the strain or any derivatives from the strain, or use them or any derivatives for the development of commercial products, must consult with Landcare Research, who will act on behalf of the owner and ensure fulfilment of obligations under the Convention on Biological Diversity concerning fair and equitable benefit sharing.
- Transfer. The recipient shall not distribute, sell, lend or otherwise transfer the strains or any derivatives to third parties, without prior consultation with Landcare Research.
- Publication and data lodging. The recipient agrees to mention the ICMP strain number in all publications and public database deposits (e.g., GenBank etc.) that refer to the strain or any derivatives. In GenBank submissions the ICMP culture should be cited in the format: /culture_collection="ICMP:16988".
|Deposit||Deposit of a culture in the public collection||No charge|
|Category 1:||Culture isolated from New Zealand||NZ$ 120.00|
|Category 2:||Cultures of non-New Zealand origin||NZ$ 150.00|
|Category 3:||Difficult to grow cultures e.g. Xylella, Leifsonia xyli, Phytophthora infestans, and extremophiles etc.||NZ$ 500.00|
|10% discount is offered for an order of 10 or more cultures|
|Postage & Packaging||New Zealand
|MFAT Permit||First culture (if on NZ strategic goods list)
Additional culture / per culture
|MPI Transfer Permit||New Zealand - Unwanted Organism
International - Unwanted Organism
New Zealand - Restricted Organism
NB: Extra charges will be added to the invoice for: Non standard Postage/Courier/Air Freight charges (e.g. FedEx), GST (New Zealand only), MPI Movement Request or Export Permit for non-New Zealand origin (overseas delivery only), or any other incurred expense. MFAT permit only applies to certain cultures being exported from New Zealand.
Commercial Storage Fees - as of May 2020
|Private Deposit||Per culture||NZ$ 300.00|
|Yearly storage fee||Per year, per culture, billed 5 years in advance||NZ$ 2.50|
|Recovery||Per culture||as per price category|
|Packaging & postage||New Zealand||NZ$ 20.00|
NB: Commercial storage is for private storage of cultures under the same long-term liquid nitrogen preservation as the public collection. No information will appear on the public ICMP database and no one except the depositor is able to order these cultures. We are not currently accepting deposits under the Budapest Treaty on the International Recognition of the Deposit of Microorganisms for the Purposes of Patent Procedure
- It is the responsibility of customers to supply any import permits and special mailing instructions required for the strains ordered.
- Most cultures are sent by airmail unless IATA regulations or other regulations require other methods of shipment.
- The recipient must pay all shipping costs.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- 10% discount is offered for an order of 10 or more cultures.
- All reasonable precautions are taken to verify authenticity of cultures but no responsibility can be accepted if they are found to be not true to type. Although accessions are regularly sampled for viability, breaking out of ampoules into culture may occasionally be unsuccessful. In either event, a replacement will be provided without charge.
- Prices quoted above are in New Zealand dollars (NZ$). Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not included above. GST only applies to purchases in New Zealand.
- For New Zealand, payment of the invoice should be by direct credit (see your invoice for more details).
- For other countries, the following payment options are offered:
- credit card payment
- direct payment into Manaaki Whenua’s bank account (see invoice for our bank account number)
- payment of invoice by bank draft in New Zealand Dollars
- An invoice will be sent separately after the cultures have been dispatched. Credit card payment and bank account details are on this invoice.
Expected time-frame for dispatch:
- Liquid nitrogen-stored cultures need to be cultured on agar first before sending, and are usually sent on agar slants. Allow up to 2 weeks for normal cultures and 4 or more weeks for slow-growing cultures before the cultures will be ready for dispatch.
- International dispatches: These are sent by air usually via NZ Post. Expected delivery time is 2–4 weeks from posting.