In this section
- Annual reports
- Our capabilities
- Ecosystem services in New Zealand
- Fauna of New Zealand series
- Fungi of New Zealand series
- Innovation Stories
- Insect factsheets: Interesting insects and other invertebrates
- Kararehe Kino – Animal Pest Research
- Minimising environmental impacts of mining
- Naturally Uncommon Ecosystems
- Poisonous plants
- Policy briefing & guidance papers
- Pūtaiao - Manaaki Whenua science summary
- Science Series
- Soil Horizons
- Statement of Corporate Intent
- Te reo o te repo: The voice of the wetland
VSA field guide
- Weed Biocontrol
- Wetland Restoration
- Woody ecosystem types
- Working papers and reports
While the Field Guide contains a wealth of information about soil quality and its fundamental importance to sustainable resource management, the information is expressed in a simple and concise way, and will provide a useful educational tool.
These volumes are available as PDF files for download. Please note - these are large files and may take several minutes to download, depending on your internet connection.
Download field guide
- pdf Volume 1: Field Guide. cropping and pastoral grazing on flat to rolling country. pdf File, 15 MB
- pdf Volume 2: Soil Management Guidelines. cropping and pastoral grazing on flat to rolling country. pdf File, 4.1 MB
- pdf Volume 3: Field Guide. Hill country land uses. pdf File, 9.2 MB
- pdf Volume 4: Soil management guidelines. Hill country land uses. pdf File, 5.4 MB
A separate publication Soil Management Guidelines for Sustainable Cropping (available from Manaaki Whenua Press) uses the same techniques as a basis for sustainable cropping management.
The VSA guides were produced with the co-operation of Horizons Regional Council, Hawke's Bay Regional Council, Ministry for the Environment, Wellington Regional Council, and Landcare Research.