In this section
- LinkOnline Webinar Series
- Link Seminars
- Biosecurity Bonanza 2023
- Te Tiriti-guided national DNA reference library wānanga series
- Remote sensing webinar series 2023
- Fieldays 2023
- Fieldays 2022
- Molecular biology
- Remote sensing webinar series 2022
- NZ Garden Bird Survey
- E Tipu - Boma Agri Summit
- TechWeek 2019
- Conservation Week Livestreams
- Kia Manawaroa Kia Puawai: Enduring Māori Livelihoods webinar
- Kōrero: Resource Management reforms
- STEMFEST 2023
Mānuka honey’s sticky situation and the project working to solve it
Mānuka honey has quickly become New Zealand’s latest gold rush, and honey lovers across the globe can’t get enough of the ‘liquid gold’.
But with at least 879,750 registered beehives across the country, twice as many as 15 years ago, the industry is working at a rate that both our flowering vegetation and honeybees can’t sustain.
Read more in our interactive StoryMap.
The Lake Snow Toolbox
Lake snow is produced by a microscopic alga and is a major problem in Central Otago and Wanaka. The reason why this is growing in lakes in these regions is unclear, but due to the impacts it has on homes and businesses, Manaaki Whenua are developing a monitoring device for regional councils.
Biotechnology: Inside an ancient DNA (aDNA) laboratory
Manaaki Whenua uses international biotech methods to achieve results in our labs, including obtaining information from ancient DNA. The process of entering the lab is documented in this behind-the-scenes video and shows why DNA is sensitive to contamination.
We also ran three livestream 'ask me anything' sessions with a range of our scientists via our Facebook channel. This allowed the public to see our staff talk about their research specialities, ask any questions, and get a behind the scenes view into Manaaki Whenua.
- Bruce Warburton - Achieving results for the environment through technology: Animal pests
- Ben Jolly - Achieving results for the environment through technology: lasers, scanners & drones
- Aaron Wilton & Kate Boardman - Digitisation Expedition (Citizen Science)