Back a level
In this section
Students examine seeds and perform tests to see how weed seeds disperse.
Students will be able to:
- Explain how some weeds arrived in New Zealand.
- Describe three ways weeds spread to new areas
- Explain two ways to prevent weeds from spreading.
Suggested prior lessons
Science Levels 3-7
weed, introduced, dispersal, seed, vegetative reproduction, rhizome, runner
1 ½ - 2 hours over several weeks
- old socks (1 per student)
- collection of seeds (for 'Blowin’ in the wind”)
- copies of “Blowin’ in the wind”
- calculation sheet
- potting mix, trays or pots
- paper towels
- large plastic zipper bags
- plant rhizomes (e.g.: twitch or yarrow)