In this section
- Biological diagnostics
- Freshwater algae
- Freshwater invertebrates guide
- Fungal guide
- Hair sample identification and factsheets
- Key to Coprosma species
- Key to Cotoneaster species
- Key to flowering plant genera of New Zealand
- Key to the grasses
- Key to Ichneumonidae in New Zealand
- Key to the Myrtaceae of New Zealand
- Key to Mycetophila
- Key to native orchids
- Key to native plants of schools & marae
- Key to weedy daisies of the South Pacific
- Key to the weed species
- Key to willow species and hybrids
- Help using LUCID keys
- Stink bugs (Pentatomidae) of NZ
- Virtual mycota
- What is this bug?
The key was developed for simple identification of these plants by students.
Plants include trees, shrubs, ferns, tufted plants, grasses and flaxes chosen from the Canterbury region, but also common to schools and marae throughout New Zealand. Fact sheets include images, botanical descriptions, links to scientific papers and websites, and a section on similar or related species. Additionally, there is information on general Māori and medicinal uses for most of these native plants.
A New Zealand Science, Mathematics and Technology Teacher Fellowship supported this project.
This key will run on most browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, IE and Microsoft Edge.
Although this key is not optimised for portable devices, it displays OK on tablets.
Dedicated smartphone apps are available for two of the keys on these webpages (Coprosma and Native orchids).
Stewart, E. 2009. Native plants of schools and marae in New Zealand.
Accessed at https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/resources/identification/plants/native-plants-schools-marae-key.
Date of access: 16 Jul 2020