Why focus on birds?
We are developing indicators that can be used to assess the health of New Zealand’s birds. We have chosen birds because:
- Lots of people are interested in birds.
- Lots of people are actively involved in bird monitoring.
- Lots of people are concerned about bird conservation issues.
- Lots of people are actively involved in restoring bird populations.
- Birds are frequently good indicators for overall environmental health
Being able to report, locally and overseas, on the health of New Zealand’s birds using robust information is vital to sustaining the country’s reputation for good environmental management.