Some fascinating facts about spiders
- Little Miss Muffet of the nursery rhyme really existed. She was the daughter of Dr Mouffet who believed spiders had healing powers when eaten.
- The weight of insects eaten by spiders every year is greater than the total weight of the entire human population.
- There can be up to nearly 5 million spiders per hectare.
- The combined length of thread in a spider's web is about 20-60 m and it can take the spider up to 3 hours to make an orbweb.
- On an equal weight basis, spider silk is twice as strong as steel. In addition, spider silk is very elastic. It is this combination of strength and stretch that makes the energy-to-break of spider silk so high. Simply put, it is the toughest material known.
- Spiders have 48 "knees": 8 legs with 6 joints on each.
- A jumping spider can jump up to 25 times its own body length.