Using the Pentatomidae website
Image gallery and factsheets
These tools are aimed at all user levels and might provide an easier path to identification for users with little or no technical knowledge in entomology.
- Images in the gallery and factsheets appear as thumbnails that should be clicked and enlarged so that species and morphological characters can be viewed in sufficient detail to assist identification.
- Browsing through the image gallery allows the selection of a species or a number of species that resemble the specimen for which an identification is sought.
- If more than one species is selected from the gallery the “add to compare” tool helps with further comparison.
- Once a likely identification is reached using the image gallery, a species factsheet can be accessed through the left hand navigation;
- this provides further information, including images of the main diagnostic characters for a particular species.
These tools are aimed at users with at least some knowledge in entomology. The Quick Key can be used by non-entomologists and the general public once a general understanding of stink bugs body parts is gained by consulting the labelled images below.
- Standard Key: An update of Larivière (1995)'s key, intended for thorough diagnosis; aimed at diagnosticians and/or entomologists.
- Quick Key: A shorter key to assist rough sorting or preliminary diagnosis; can be used by non-entomologists and the general public.
How to use the keys
- Keys are based on text couplets – two statements in contrast with each other that provide alternative characters to identify species.
- By selecting/agreeing with one statement (hyperlinked text ending with NEXT ») the key moves to the NEXT couplet; the process is repeated until an identification is reached.
- Key couplets are illustrated – image thumbnails appear under couplet statements.
- Thumbnails should be clicked and enlarged so that morphological characters can be viewed in sufficient detail to assist identification.
- Key end points – identification is reached – the name of a species is obtained.
- The species name links to a factsheet that provides further information, including images of the main diagnostic characters for a particular species.
Examination of some characters in the keys may require the use of a hand lens or other magnifying device (e.g., microscope or zoomed-in photo from a camera or smart phone).
Pentatomidae body parts
The labelled images below provide a basic guide to the stink bug body parts or morphology used in the keys and factsheets.