Matt McGlone, Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Individual Science Awards
Matt McGlone was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand for his work into the nature of New Zealand’s vegetation prior to human settlement. Matt’s work in integrating research from macrofossils, tree rings, volcanism history, isotope data and geological history to reconstruct the vegetation cover of New Zealand since the last Ice Age provides a benchmark against which to measure how fast some plant species have been able to adapt and respond to significant changes in the environment.
David Galloway (Research Associate of Landcare Research) was presented with the prestigious Acharius Medal by the International Association of Lichenology. The medal is awarded every four years for ‘outstanding contributions to lichenology’ and this is only the second time the association´s premier award has been made to a Southern Hemisphere lichenologist.
The carboNZeroCert™ programme
- Won a Judges’ Commendation for Sustainable Design and Innovation at the recent 2008 NZI National Sustainable Business Network awards
- Won the Champion Service Award (for medium–large companies) at the Champion Canterbury Awards
- Won the Sustainable Service category for the Southern Region in the Sustainable Business Network’s design and innovation awards
- Won the High Growth Sector Award at the 2009 Vero Excellence in Business Support awards
- Became the fi rst greenhouse gas certification scheme in the world to receive international accreditation under the auspices of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF). The carboNZero programme is the only accredited ISO14065 greenhouse gas verifier outside the United States
- Ann Smith, Technical General Manager, was joint winner of EECA’s Outstanding Contribution to Sustainable Energy Award
- Won the ASB Hawke’s Bay Emerging Exporter of the Year award
- Was named as the Westpac Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce Exporter of the Year. The judges recognised Sirtrack as a leader in creating wildlifetracking devices with about 90% of its products exported to a range of diverse markets. They commended the company for its significant investment into product research and development, focusing on producing premium products customised to suit specific project needs.