Professor Surinder Saggar is the Principal Scientist, Ecosystems and Global Change at Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research and a Professorial Research Fellow, Massey University. After graduating BSc (Ag) with Honours and MSc (Soils) from the Punjab Agricultural University, India he took his PhD in soil science at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
Professor Surinder Saggar has a very strong and credible academic record for his leading research on the microbial processes regulating losses of agricultural nitrogen to the atmosphere and to groundwater. He continues to be highly recognised nationally and internationally. His research has consistently provided benefits to policy makers and farmers, and the environment by not only improving nutrient use efficiency through mitigating their losses, but also reducing New Zealand agricultural greenhouse gas emissions and enhancing the sustainability of agricultural ecosystems. Professor Saggar’s publication record is outstanding, with 140 papers published in leading international journals (h-index (Google Scholar) of 48); the total number of citations exceeds 7875. New Zealand successes include:
- Improved the agricultural greenhouse gas inventory by refining nitrous oxide emissions estimates from hill country and mitigating ammonia emissions having global application.
- Established the potential to enhance soil carbon storage with an advanced understanding of the influence of reactive clay surfaces on organic carbon turn-over and a better index in quantification of organic matter stability.
- Developed novel soil tests now used both nationally and internationally for improving phosphorus use efficiency in soils fertilised with phosphate rock.
Internationally, Professor Saggar’s achievements are highly regarded: he championed a tripartite MoU among Massey University, Landcare Research and Punjab Agricultural University to strengthen research collaboration and post-graduate student exchanges. He has also held a Visiting Professorship at the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences and National Council of Chile. Other invitations include: Archimedes Foundation to evaluate a proposal for the Centre of Excellence in Research in Estonia; Swiss National Science Foundation specific expertise on N transformations for research project review; expert advice to IAEA/FAO and assistance in training researchers from 12 South-east Asian countries to minimise farming impacts on climate change; Research Fellow of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science, and a plenary speaker at an international symposium hosted by the Crop Science Society of Japan.
In New Zealand, Professor Saggar’s excellent contribution is acknowledged widely, as it supports New Zealand’s greenhouse gas inventory and the adoption of policies to mitigate emissions. He is a Fellow of New Zealand Society of Soil Science and the New Zealand Institute of Agricultural and Horticultural Science. recipient of New Zealand Society of Soil Science M.L. Leamy Award for his meritorious contribution to soil science and Norman Taylor Memorial Award for his outstanding scientific contributions to New Zealand and international soil science, and Regional Achievement Award, Landcare Research in recognition of perseverance in pursuing possible mitigation strategies for trace gas emissions. He has been an Expert Reviewer 2006 IPCC Good Practice Guidelines and IPCC Fourth Assessment II Working Group; Member Editorial Board & Subject Editor Editorial of 'Soil Biology and Biochmeistry'; Advisory Board Member ‘Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environments’ and 'The Open Agriculture Journal', and peer reviewer for about a dozen of international and national research journals. He is currently Editor of Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment. He has been involved in the supervision of a number of PhD, MSc/MApplSc students.
He actively promotes science through public talks, student visits, field days, training young researchers (Europe, Japan, China, South-East Asia, South America, Africa), and RSNZ Teacher Trainee Fellows. He has adjudicated science and postgraduate awards for conference presentations, postgraduate awards, and science awards at the Manawatu Science & Technology Fair.
PhD Soil Science
- Punjab Agricultural
MSc Soil Science
- Punjab Agricultural
BSc (Hons) Agriculture
- McMillan AMS, Pal P, Phillips RL, Palmada T, Berben P, Jha N, Saggar S, Luo J 2016. Can pH amendments in grazed pastures help reduce N2O emissions from denitrification? - The effects of liming and urine addition on the completion of denitrification in fluvial and volcanic soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 93: 90-104. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.10.013 (Journal Article, 2016)
- Morales SE, Jha N, Saggar S 2015. Impact of urine and the application of the nitrification inhibitor DCD on microbial communities in dairy-grazed pasture soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 88: 344-353. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.06.009 (Journal Article, 2015)
- Giltrap DL, Berben P, Palmada T, Saggar S 2014. Understanding and analysing spatial variability of nitrous oxide emissions from a grazed pasture. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 186: 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2014.01.012 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Jorquera MA, Martínez OA, Marileo LG, Acuña JJ, Saggar S, Mora ML 2014. Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization on the composition of rhizobacterial communities of two Chilean Andisol pastures. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 30(1): 99-107. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11274-013-1427-9 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Kim D-G, Giltrap DL, Saggar S, Hanly JA 2014. Field studies assessing the effect of dicyandiamide (DCD) on N transformations, pasture yields, N2O emissions and N-leaching in the Manawatu region. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 57(4): 271-293. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2013.855244 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Podolyan A, Di HJ, Cameron KC, Clough T, De Klein C, Saggar S 2014. Ammonia oxidising populations and relationships with N2O emissions in three New Zealand soils. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 57(3): 228-243. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2014.924969 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Saggar S, Camps Arbestain M, Leifeld J ed. 2014. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 191. Elsevier. 168 p. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/01678809/191 (Serial, 2014)
- Arbestain MC, Saggar S, Leifeld J 2014. Environmental benefits and risks of biochar application to soil. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 191: 1-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2014.04.014 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Saggar S 2014. Agricultural land-use change and global climate change: New Zealand experience. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 83(extra issue 1): 468-469. https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jcsproc/237/0/237_468/_article (Journal Article, 2014)
- Deslippe JR, Jamali H, Jha N, Saggar S 2014. Denitrifier community size, structure and activity along a gradient of pasture to riparian soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 71: 48-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2014.01.007 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Zaman M, Saggar S, Stafford AD 2013. Mitigation of ammonia losses from urea applied to a pastoral system: the effect of nBTPT and timing and amount of irrigation. Proceedings: New Zealand Grassland Association 75th Annual Conference, Tauranga, New Zealand, 5-7 November 2013. Pp. 209-214. http://grassland.org.nz/publications/nzgrassland_publication_2552.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2013)
- Bolan N, Saggar S, Kirkham MB ed. 2013. Science of the Total Environment 465. Elsevier. 336 p. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00489697/465 (Serial, 2013)
- Saggar S, Singh J, Giltrap DL, Zaman M, Luo J, Rollo M, Kim DG, Rys G, van der Weerden TJ 2013. Quantification of reductions in ammonia emissions from fertiliser urea and animal urine in grazed pastures with urease inhibitors for agriculture inventory: New Zealand as a case study. Science of the Total Environment 465: 136-146. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.07.088 (Journal Article, 2013)
- Kirschbaum MUF, Saggar S, Tate KR, Thakur KP, Giltrap DL 2013. Quantifying the climate-change consequences of shifting land use between forest and agriculture. Science of the Total Environment 465: 314-324. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.01.026 (Journal Article, 2013)
- Saggar S, Jha N, Deslippe J, Bolan NS, Luo J, Giltrap DL, Kim DG, Zaman M, Tillman RW 2013. Denitrification and N2O:N2 production in temperate grasslands: processes, measurements, modelling and mitigating negative impacts. Science of the Total Environment 465: 173-195. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.11.050 (Journal Article, 2013)
- Luo J, Hoogendoorn C, van der Weerden T, Saggar S, De Klein C, Giltrap D, Rollo M, Rys G 2013. Nitrous oxide emissions from grazed hill land in New Zealand. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 181: 58-68. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2013.09.020 (Journal Article, 2013)
- Kirschbaum MUF, Saggar S, Tate KR, Giltrap DL, Ausseil AGE, Greenhalgh S, Whitehead D 2012. Comprehensive evaluation of the climate-change implications of shifting land use between forest and grassland: New Zealand as a case study. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 150: 123-138. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167880912000187 (Journal Article, 2012)
- Poster "BIOCHAR AS A CATALYST FOR SOIL CARBON SINK ENHANCEMENT: A LYSIMETER STUDY" Calvelo Pereira, R; Wisnobruto, E. Hedley, M.; Camps-Arbestain, M.; Green, S.; Saggar, S.; Deurer, M. for Presentationation at teh Euro2012 Conference (Other, 2012)
- Kim D-G, Giltrap D, Saggar S, Palmada T, Berben P, Drysdale D 2012. Fate of the nitrification inhibitor dicyandiamide (DCD) sprayed on a grazed pasture: effect of rate and time of application. Soil Research 50(4): 337-347. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/SR12069 (Journal Article, 2012)
- Van Der Weerden TJ, Luo J, Hoogendoorn CJ, De Klein CAM, Saggar S 2012. Nitrous oxide emission factors for sheep urine deposited on hill country. In: Hassouna M, Guingand N ed. Proceedings: International Symposium on Emissions of Gas and Dust from Livestock, Saint-Malo, France, 10-13 June 2012. Pp. 156-159. https://colloque4.inra.fr/emili2012/Book (Conference Proceedings, 2012)
- Jha N, Saggar S, Tillman R, Giltrap D 2012. Changes in dentrification rate and N2O/N2 ratio with varying soil moisture conditions in New Zealand pasture soils. In: Currie LD, Christensen CL ed. Proceedings: Advanced Nutrient Management: Gains from the Past - Goals for the Future, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand, February 2012. Pp. 15. http://www.massey.ac.nz/~flrc/workshops/12/Manuscripts/Jha_2012.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2012)
- Gillingham AG, Ledgard SF, Saggar S, Cameron KC, Di HJ, de Klein C, Aspin MD 2012. Initial evaluation of the effects of dicyandiamide (DCD) on nitrous oxide emissions, nitrate leaching and dry matter production from dairy pastures in a range of locations within New Zealand. Proceedings: 25th Annual Fertilizer and Lime Research Centre Workshop, Palmerston North, 7-9 February 2012. Pp. 16. http://flrc.massey.ac.nz/workshops/12/Manuscripts/Gillingham_2012.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2012)
- Thakur KP, Giltrap D, Ausseil A-G, Saggar S, Raj A 2011. Beyond the logistic growth model for nitrous oxide emission factors from agricultural soils. Proceedings: International Conference on Sensing Technology, Palmerston North, 28th November- 1st December 2011. Pp. 399-404. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSensT.2011.6137008 (Conference Proceedings, 2011)
- Invited member of the New Zealand Government delegation on US/NZ Bilateral Climate Change Partnership meetings in Washington (2006)
- Section Editor Soil Biology and Biochemistry (2006), Elsevier
- Editorial board member of the international journal, Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (2000), Elselvier
- CPAg (Certified Professional Agricultural Consultant), New Zealand Institute of Agricultural Science., New Zealand Institute of Agricultural Science
- New Zealand Justice of Peace
- Landcare Research Professorship in Environmental Sciences as the first Professorial Research Fellow, Institute of Natural Resources, Massey University (2007) , Institute of Natural Resources, Massey University
- Global DNDC network facilitator, Global DNDC network
- Expert Reviewer and member of a Panel of Experts for the evaluation of proposals of the Fourth National Call for Research Centers of Excellence - FONDAP 2011., National Commission of Scientific and Technological Research in Chile (CONICYT)
- Guest Co-Editor Special Issue on Soil: Sink & Source for GHG Science of the Total Environment (2012-13), Science of the Total Environment
- Fellow, New Zealand Society of Soil Science
- Fellow, New Zealand Institute of Agricultural and Horticultural Science
- Associate Editor for Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment
- Surinder Saggar has been reappointed to America-New Zealand Soil Science Professional Exchange Fund Committee for two-year starting 1 January 2014 till 31 December 2015. , America-New Zealand Soil Science Professional Exchange Fund Committee
- Climate Change
- Soil Biogeochemistry
- Soil carbon dynamics, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur cycling and greenhouse gas emissions/sinks (carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and methane) in pasture, tussock, cropping and forest ecosystems, soil biological processes, radioisotope techniques, and simu
- Soil Fertility
- Soil Science
- Sustainable Land Management