Research InterestsMSc. IT - Specialism: Human Factors
PhD. Economics - Specialism: Geography & Psychology. ESRC CASE with the Institute of Aviation Medicine
BA. (Hons) Geography - Specialisms: Cartography (traditional and computer), Remote Sensing, Geographical methods.
- Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDI)
- Geospatial metadata
- Geo-web services
- Science gateways
- Research data management
- Computer Science
- Cartography & geovisualisation
Nominated representative for the Joint Informations Systems Committee (JISC) and the UK academic community in its engagement with the implementation of the UK Spatial Data Infrastructure and EU INSPIRE Directive
Elected Council Member of the Association of Geographic Information Laboratories for Europe.
Member of the Scottish Government’s Geography Steering Group.
Member of the UK JISC Geospatial Working Group.
Committee member of the UK and Ireland Open Geospatial Consortium Forum.
Member of the UK Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) Spatial Literacy in Teaching (SPLINT) Advisory Board.
Research Associate of the Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
Member of the UK Association for Geographic Information (AGI) GIgateway Portal Stakeholder Committee.
Committee member of the AGI Technical SIG.
Member of the UK AGI Gemini Initiative. (Tasked with establishing a UK standard for geospatial metadata).
Member of the Great Britain Historical GIS (Vision of Britain) Management Committee.
Member of the British Standards Institute Committee PSM 39/2 Software Ergonomics.
Member of the UK AGI Standards Committee on GIS.
MSc Information Technology
- Portsmouth Polytechnic
BA (Hons) Geography
- 2011. Soil horizons (Special issue: Soil & land information) 20. Palmerston North, Landcare Research Manaaki Whenua. 16 p. http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/soilhorizons/Soil_Horizons_20.pdf (Serial, 2011)
- Medyckyj-Scott D, Barringer J 2011. Supplying land and soils data over the web - the LRIS portal. Soil horizons 20: 4. http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/soilhorizons/Soil_Horizons_20.pdf (Journal Article, 2011)
- Barringer J, Medyckyi-Scott D, Hewitt A, Lilburne L 2011. S-map online: an interactive mapping and query application for New Zealand soils data. Soil horizons 20: 5. http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/soilhorizons/Soil_Horizons_20.pdf (Journal Article, 2011)
- Representing Science New Zealand on Standards bodies (Standards New Zealand and Standards Australia geospatial committees.), Standards New Zealand
- Computer Science
- GIS Operations
- GIS Applications
- GIS Application Development
- Information Management
- Internet Information
- Project Management
- Spatial Information Systems
- Technology Transfer
- Data Management
- Web Services