Role at Landcare Research
Vertebrate Ecologist; Pest Control Technologies, Landcare Research, Lincoln
- Developing and field testing new methods for vertebrate pest control
- Improving target specificity of vertebrate pesticides
- Monitoring impacts of vertebrate pesticides
- Welfare testing of vertebrate pest traps
Professional affiliations / recognition
Morriss, G.A.; O’Connor, C.E.; Airey, A.T.; Fisher, P. 2008: Factors influencing acceptance and efficacy of toxic baits in ship rats, Norway rats and house mice. Science for Conservation 282. Department of Conservation.
Fisher, P.; O’Connor, C.; Morriss, G.; Airey, A. 2007: House mice avoid 1080. Kararehe Kino 10.
Forsyth, D.M.; Barker, R.J.; Morriss, G.; Scroggie, M.P. 2007: Modeling the relationship between fecal pellet indices and deer density. Journal of Wildlife Management 71: 964–970.
Spurr, E.B.; Morriss, G.A.; Turner, J.; O’Connor, C.E.; Fisher, P. 2007: Bait station preferences of ship rats. DOC Research & Development Series 271. Department of Conservation.
Spurr, E.B.; Morriss, G.A.; Turner, J.; O’Connor, C.E.; Fisher, P. 2006: Bait station preferences of Norway rats. DOC Research & Development Series 255. Department of Conservation.
Morriss, G. 2006: Reducing non-target interference with Feratox. Kararehe Kino: Vertebrate Pest Research 7.
Morriss, G.; Nugent, G.; Fisher, P. 2005: Exposure of feral pigs to brodifacoum following baiting for rodent control. DOC Science Internal Series 194. Department of Conservation.
Morriss, G.A.; Manning, L.M.; O’Connor, C.E. 2003: Assessment of the primary and secondary poisoning risk posed by Feratox-poisoned possums. Landcare Research Contract Report LC0304/029.
Morriss, G.A.; Nugent, G.; O’Connor, C.E.; Stafford, K. 2003: Development and testing of a deer-repellent cereal bait for possum control. Landcare Research Contract Report LC0304/021.
- Morriss GA, Warburton B 2014. Modifying the Victor® Easy Set® rat trap to improve the animal welfare of stoats and ship rats trapped in New Zealand. PLoS ONE 9(2): e86760. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086760 (Journal Article, 2014)
- Nugent G, Morriss GA 2013. Delivery of toxic bait in clusters: a modified technique for aerial poisoning of small mammal pests. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 37(2): 246-255. http://www.newzealandecology.org/nzje/3083 (Journal Article, 2013)
- Morriss GA, Warburton B, Cross ML, Nugent G 2012. Hoarding behavior by ship rats (Rattus rattus) in captivity and its relevance to the effectiveness of pest control operations. European Journal of Wildlife Research 58(2): 483-488. <Go to ISI>://WOS:000301780600010 (Journal Article, 2012)
- Morriss G, Warburton B 2011. Could bait caching behaviour of ship rats affect the efficacy of 1080 baiting for killing possums? In: Saunders G, Lane C ed. Proceedings: 15th Australasian Vertebrate Pest Conference, Sydney, June 20-23 2011. Pp. 178. http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/15thAVPC_Proceedings_June2011.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2011)
- Ballesteros C, Vicente J, Morriss G, Jockney I, Rodriguez O, Gortazar C, de la Fuente J 2011. Acceptance and palatability for domestic and wildlife hosts of baits designed to deliver a tuberculosis vaccine to wild boar piglets. Preventive veterinary medicine 98(2-3): 198-203. (Journal Article, 2011)
- Morriss G 2010. Use of trail cameras. Kararehe kino 16: 7. http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/possnews/index.asp (Journal Article, 2010)
- Morriss G, Whitford J, Nugent G 2010. Using less 1080 in aerial baiting: latest results from research into cluster sowing. Proceedings: 2010 NPCA Technology Transfer Conference 24-25 November 2010, Wellington. Pp. 6. (Conference Proceedings, 2010)
- Morriss G, Nugent G 2009. [Abstract] Epro deer repellent : will it stop cattle and sheep from eating possum baits? Proceedings: NPCA 2009 Technology Transfer Conference, Wellington, 25-26 November, 2009. Pp. 17. (Conference Proceedings, 2009)
- Morriss G, Nugent G 2009. [Abstract] Efficacy of cluster baiting to reduce costs and toxin use during aerial poisoning. Proceedings: NPCA 2009 Technology Transfer Conference, Wellington, 25-26 November, 2009. Pp. 18. (Conference Proceedings, 2009)
- Pest Control Ecology
- Wildlife Ecology
- Wildlife Toxicology