My work involves improving the incorporation of Māori values into economic decision-making for collective assets that will enable Māori organisations to make more kaupapa Māori attuned decisions.
Awatere, S., Warmenhoven, T., Pohatu, P., Daigneault, A., Monge, J., Dowling, L., Harrison, D., Marden, M. (2018) Climate resilient Māori land, Hamilton: Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research. 60 p
Awatere S, Mika J, Hudson M, Pauling C, Lambert S, Reid J 2017. Whakatipu rawa ma ngā uri whakatipu: optimising the “Māori” in Māori economic development. AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Peoples 13: 80-88.
- Awatere S, Harmsworth G, Rolleston S, Pauling C 2013. Kaitiakitanga o ngā ngahere pōhatu - kaitiakitanga of urban settlements. 10 10 In: Walker R, Jojola T, Natcher D ed. Reclaiming indigenous planning. McGill-Queen's native and northern series ; 70. Montreal, McGill-Queen's University Press. Pp. 236-259. (Book Section, 2013)
- Awatere S, Greenaway A, Mortimer C, Pauling, C 2011. Collaborative and matauranga Maori inspired urban planning. Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP) Journal - Policy Matters (Special Edition). (Journal Article, 2011)
- Rolleston S, Awatere S 2011. [Abstract] Nga tauira mahere taiao - Maori planning models. Proceedings: Winds of Change: 2011 New Zealand Planning Institute Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, 29 March - 1 April, 2011. https://www.planning.org.nz/Folder?Action=View%20File&Folder_id=217&File=ROLLESTON_AWATERE_2011.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2011)
- Awatere S 2010. What is the degree of mātauranga Māori expressed through measures of ethnicity? AlterNative: an international journal of indigenous peoples 6(1): 1-14. http://www.alternative.ac.nz/journal/volume6-issue1/article/what-degree-m%C4%81tauranga-m%C4%81ori-expressed-through-measures-ethnicity (Journal Article, 2010)
- Awatere S, Rolleston S, Pauling C 2010. Developing Māori urban design principles In: Stuart K, Thompson-Fawcett M ed. Tāone tupu ora: indigenous knowledge and sustainable urban design. Wellington, N.Z., Steele Roberts. Pp. 17-22. (Book Section, 2010)
- Awatere S, Greenaway A, Morimter C 2010. Urban update: insights from co-managed and mātauranga Māori inspired urban planning. (Journal Article, 2010)
- Awatere S 2009. Limitations of welfare economics when considering mātauranga Māori in natural resource management. Journal of the Polynesian Society. (Journal Article, 2009)
- Scott K, Awatere S, Blair N (2009). Nobody likes stormwater: complexities of transforming a problem into a common-pool resource through low impact design. Human Ecology. (Journal Article, 2009)