Identification keys to New Zealand Pentatomidae (Insecta: Hemiptera) and surveillance tool for biosecurity
by Marie-Claude Larivière, Birgit Rhode, Karen Scott
This web resource is designed to assist the public, biosecurity workers, and biologists in identifying and monitoring stink bugs in New Zealand.
Identification keys, image gallery and factsheets provide streamlined diagnostic and surveillance information to
- Identify native and naturalised stink bugs
- Differentiate unwanted exotic stink bugs
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, BMSB (Halyomorpha halys)
- Yellow Spotted Stink Bug, YSSB (Erthesina fullo)
- Assist MPI New Zealand and other agencies in the surveillance, investigation and response towards exotic pests
Diagnostic information included here is primarily based on the scientific revision of New Zealand Pentatomidae by Larivière (1995, Fauna of New Zealand 35).
Standard Key: An update of Larivière (1995)'s key, intended for thorough diagnosis; aimed at diagnosticians and/or entomologists.
Quick Key: A shorter key to assist rough sorting or preliminary diagnosis; can be used by non-entomologists and the general public.
Examination of some characters in the keys may require the use of a hand lens or other magnifying device (e.g., microscope or an enlarged photo from a camera or smart phone).