Role at Landcare Research
2009. PhD (Soil Physics), Lincoln University.
2005. PG Diploma in Agricultural Science (with Distinction), Lincoln University.
1998. PG Diploma in Applied Science, Lincoln University.
1998. Bachelor Resource Studies, Lincoln University.
2010. Morice Fields award for exceptional merit in PhD thesis, NZ Soil Science Society.
2009. Summit-Quniphos award for 3rd year PhD students, NZ Soil Science Society.
2005-2008. AgMardt PhD scholarship.
- Soil survey and land evaluation
- Soil physics (Soil water infiltration, storage and drainage)
- Contaminant leaching
- Methods to measure soil water attributes
- Sensor networks for environmental monitoring
Member NZ Soil Science Society
List of key publications
1. Refereed Publications
Carrick, S.; Buchan, G.; Almond, P.; Smith, N. 2011 Atypical infiltration into astructured soil near field capacity: The dynamic interplay between sorptivity, hydrophobicity, and air encapsulation. Geoderma 160. Pp 579-589
Carrick, S.; Almond, P.; Buchan, G.; Smith, N. 2010 Characterising in situ hydraulic conductivities of individual soil profile layers during infiltration over long time periods. European Journal of Soil Science vol. 61. Pp 1056-1069.
Carrick S, Vesely É, Hewitt A 2010. Economic value of improved soil natural capital assessment: a case study on nitrogen leaching. 19th World Soil Congress of soil Science, Brisbane, Australia, 1st - 6th August 2010. Four page extended abstract.
Lilburne, L., Carrick, S., Webb, T., Moir, J. 2012. Computer-based evaluation of methods to sample nitrate leached from grazed pasture. Soil Use and Management. Doi:10.1111/j.1475-2743.2011.00378.x
Schwarzel, K., Carrick, S., Wahren, A., Feger, K., Bodner, G., Buchan, G. 2011. Soil hydraulic of recently tilled soil under crop rotation comparedwith two-year pasture: measurement and modelling. Vadose Zone Journal vol. 10. Pp 354-366.
2. Technical reports
Carrick, S.T. 2010. Review of research on contaminant leaching from the application of dairy farm effluent to deep well-drained Brown soils in Southland. Landcare Research Contract Report LC0910/148. Landcare Research, Lincoln, NZ. 40 pp.
Hedley, C.; Carrick, S.; Webb, T. 2009. Soil electromagnetic mapping for variable rate irrigation – Rangitata Holdings, Ashburton. Landcare Research report for Rangitata Holdings
Carrick, S.T.; Lynn, I.H. 2003. Soils of the Taieri Plain and their attributes. Landcare Research Contract Report: LC0304/045. Funded by Dunedin Rural Development Incorporated, Mosgiel. 108pp
Carrick, S.T.; Lynn I.H. 2003. Information sheets for 50 soil series in the Dunedin City Council area. Funded and published by Dunedin Rural Development Incorporated. Published on the internet at the address: http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/council-online/webmaps/growrural/
Carrick, S.T. 2003. Information and technical data sheets for 150 soil series of lowland Southland. Funded and published by Crops for Southland and Environment Southland. Published on the internet at the address: http://map.es.govt.nz/departments/landsustainability/soil/Default.aspx
Carrick, S.T. 2002. Methodology for soil versatility evaluation in the Southland region. Landcare Research Contract Report: LC0203/013. Funded by Crops for Southland and Environment Southland. 45 pp.
3. Soil maps
- 1:25 000 Soil Map Publications (Primary author): 2
- 1:50 000 Soil Map Publications (Primary author): 10
- Soil Map Publications (Secondary author): 13
Note: Copies of all soil maps and soil information sheets are available online or printed:
- Otago (1:25 000) online at http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/council-online/webmaps/growrural/
- Otago (1:50 000) online at http://growotago.orc.govt.nz and soil information sheets at http://soils.landcareresearch.co.nz/orc
- Southland (1:50 000) online at http://map.es.govt.nz/departments/landsustainability/soil/Default.aspx
- Wairarapa plains (1:50 000) online at http://smap.landcareresearch.co.nz/home
PhD Soil Physics
- Hewitt A, Barringer J, Claydon J, Campbell S, Carrick S, Fraser S, Gray C, Lynn I, Medyckyj-Scott D, Ritchie A, Webb T 2012. National Soil Database utility: a review and process for development. Landcare Research contract report ; LC1033. Landcare Research. 38 p. http://www.envirolink.govt.nz/Envirolink-reports/1-NLCC1/1072-MLDC73/ (Report, 2012)
- Ritchie A, Carrick S, Lilburne L 2012. Web enabling soil data for the Farm Dairy Effluent Storage Calculator. Landcare Research contract report ; LC1034. Landcare Research. 35 p. http://www.envirolink.govt.nz/Envirolink-reports/1-NLCC1/1067-MLDC72/ (Report, 2012)
- Faser, P., Carrick, S., Tarbotton, I. 2012. Canterbury soil research and irrigation workshop, Lincoln 1st March 2012. Plant and Food research report. 27 pp. (Conference Proceedings, 2012)
- Lynn I, Carrick C, Houlbrooke D, Webb T. 2012. Pocket guide to determine soil risk for farm dairy effluent application - planning the right system for your farm. DairyNZ, Landcare Research, and AgResearch. 30 pp (Book, 2012)
- Hedley CB, Payton IJ, Lynn IH, Carrick ST, Webb TH, McNeill S 2012. Random sampling of stony and non-stony soils for testing a national soil carbon monitoring system. Soil research 50(1): 18-29. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/SR11171 (Journal Article, 2012)
- Lilburne L, Carrick S, Webb T, Moir J 2012. Computer-based evaluation of methods to sample nitrate leached from grazed pasture. Soil use and management 28(1): 19-26. <Go to ISI>://WOS:000301047000003 (Journal Article, 2012)
- Schwen A, Hernandez-Ramirez G, Lawrence-Smith EJ, Sinton SM, Carrick S, Clothier BE, Buchan GD, Loiskandl W 2011. Hydraulic properties and the water-conducting porosity as affected by subsurface compaction using tension infiltrometers. Soil Science Society of America journal 75(3): 822-831. https://www.soils.org/publications/sssaj/abstracts/75/3/822 (Journal Article, 2011)
- Schwarzel K, Carrick S, Wahren A, Feger KH, Bodner G, Buchan G 2011. Soil hydraulic properties of recently tilled soil under cropping rotation compared with two-year pasture. Vadose zone journal 10(1): 354-366. (Journal Article, 2011)
- Carrick S, Buchan G, Almond P, Smith N 2011. Atypical early-time infiltration into a structured soil near field capacity :the dynamic interplay between sorptivity, hydrophobicity, and air encapsulation. Geoderma 160(3-4): 579-589. (Journal Article, 2011)
- Carrick S, Vesely E-T, Hewitt A 2010. Economic value of improved soil natural capital assessment : a case study on nitrogen leaching. In: Gilkes R, Prakongkep N ed. Proceedings: 19th World Congress of Soil Science 2010, Brisbane, Australia, 1-6 August, 2010. Pp. 3534-3537. http://www.soilscienceaustralia.com.au/images/stories/19WCSS/12589%20Papers%20V05.pdf (Conference Proceedings, 2010)
- Carrick S, Almond P, Buchan G, Smith N 2010. In situ characterization of hydraulic conductivities of individual soil profile layers during infiltration over long time periods. European journal of soil science 61(6): 1056-1069. (Journal Article, 2010)
- Carrick S 2009. The dynamic interplay of mechanisms governing infiltration into structured and layered soil columns. Unpublished thesis, Lincoln University, Lincoln. 199 p. (Thesis, 2009)
- Adjunct Lecturer, Soil and Physical Sciences Department, Lincoln University
- Soil Physics
- Soil Resources